Friday, August 8, 2014

Warm days; cool nights

I can't believe it's August already, and this post is long overdue. Everyday I hear someone complain about our summer that never was. I think many New Englanders are waiting for our typical hot blast of summer days and restless, humid nights. I am happy the way things are. I don't miss temps in the high eighties and nineties, and I definitely do not miss the muggy evenings. I think my garden is happy too-- although perhaps a bit neglected. I have been doing many short trips away-- Connecticut, northern Vermont, New Hampshire, New York, Martha's Vineyard-- and I have gotten a bit behind.

Still, all of my work in the spring ensures that I still have an enjoyable place to stroll and sit.

In the back garden, my limelight tree hydrangea is what catches my eye the most right now. I planted it last year, squeezing it into a spot where it has no business growing, because I was missing one that we had to move from our driveway area. I am keeping my fingers crossed that with a mixture of luck and delicate pruning, this tree will grow taller rather than wider!




The 'Karl Foerster' feather reed grass in the background has taken on a lovely wheat color, although I'm afraid I didn't take these photos in the best light

The lilies to the right of the hydrangea add a perfect contrast

My garden has many fewer plants blooming in August, but phlox is old fashioned and reliable

I planted meadow rue last year, and I had no idea it would get this tall!


My shade garden, like most shady spots, isn't show stopping, but it lends the garden some consistency and stability


August brings glimpses of fall colors to the garden: the 'Karley Rose' fountain grass is airy and beautiful and the peony's leaves are surprisingly tinged with a hint of autumn



More signs of fall

Black-eyed Susans surround the 'Autumn Joy' sedum getting ready to bloom

I miss my lush hydrangeas in the side and front gardens; they really took a beating this winter. Happy to say, though, they are alive and as big as ever, but the blooms are scarce. I will enjoy the beautiful colors of the fewer blooms






I took care of my neighbor's potted plants last week, and it was so nice to spend time in another garden. She has a nice mix of sun and shade--as well as a super-green thumb--so she has created a true oasis. She has agreed to let me photograph her garden, and I will be posting on that very soon. Enjoy the breezy days and cool nights of early August!

2 comments:

  1. At least you didn't name your blog, " Daily Notes from the Garden"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep--good thing, indeed. But maybe I should have named it, "Yearly Notes from the Garden" -- just to be safe!

      Delete